Friday, December 19, 2008

Our DFTS Workspace

Here is the first of what we hope will be a regular series of photo-features of our studio. This is where we're working on Don't Forget This Song. Due to the snow, it's been hard to make the cross-town trip to get there.

I don't think it will snow again 'til Sunday, so it looks like we'll get one more full day of work in today...

First, here's the exterior of the building. Your basic Generic Workspace, it's located right off busy Aurora Avenue. It's easy to get to, and accessible by three different bus lines:



This is a shot of a cool old sign one block from our space. There are many curious artifacts in this neighborhood. We'll show you more of them.

This sign appears to be at least 35 years old. It's just paint on wood. All the white paint has been eroded by the wet, wet Northwest winters. I'm amazed the wood hasn't rotted off...



Our studio space is surprisingly quiet, given that it's right off roaring Aurora Avenue. We can see Mount Rainier from our windows. It's difficult to get a really good photo of this natural wonder, given the glare of the windows, etc., but here is a sample of the ever-changing vista...



Here are three shots of the studio, right after we moved our things in, and sans either of us:







The DFTS studio can boast some pieces of comix history. We have two Celebrity Lightboxes. Mine was built by underground comix legend Jay Lynch, in the '70s, I think. It was given to me by his wife, Carole, 16 years ago...



David is the proud possessor of an ex-Lloyd Dangle lightbox. This fancy item folds out into a handy lightbox-slash-easel. David has drawn many of our comprehensive roughs on this lightbox.




Speaking of David, here he is, seated at the gargantuan drafting table that his very kind neighbors donated to our project.



Another view of the drafting table, with drawings and some of our rough thumbnail pages attached:



Here's David, again: same table, same time. He's working on some of the rough thumbnails.




Here's me at work. I always look grumpy when I'm focused on my work. I think it's because of my far-sightedness. I have to really concentrate to hold my focus on close-up things. I should get reading glasses!



Do I look less grumpy from behind? We've since reconfigured our studio that this table faces the window.







As said, we'll post more on-site pix in the days to come. We hope you've enjoyed this modest glimpse into our new workspace!

2 comments:

arrabbiata said...

I enjoyed seeing photos of your space. It's been about 3 years since I moved my studio out of my basement and into a space I share with another printmaker in a dedicated arts building. It's cost me quite a bit, but it's worth every penny to have a place where I can get away from distractions and get some work done. I think you'll find the same with your place.

(it's also cool to have a place to host press, collectors, fellow artists, and other people you want to impress, but that's a whole other story)

When I tell people about your project, they tend to be very impressed. I think that artists of all types will be inspired by what you're doing to raise their game and take on the kind of project that the world will notice.

sammy said...

go dudes go!